September 22, 2008

Work and Play.

I've finally gotten into the swing of things at work, and my classes seem much shorter than they used to. I asked for a raise last week, and got it, along with some positive reviews from my students, which is fantastic. All but two of my students are incredibly easy to work with, but the two that aren't drive me nuts. I think about pulling some of my Mortal Kombat moves (most notably the scissor grab, and shadow kick) on their faces at least four times a lesson. Most of my students really just want to sound more like Americans, so we work a lot on pronunciation, idioms, general expressions, and intonation. Others, however, want to work on somewhat drier material, like verb tenses, conjugation, and grammar, which makes me consider suicide for the last half of the lesson. Needless to say, I like my conversation classes MUCH more. 

I partied with a new group of Argentines this weekend, and had terrific time. Great drinks, English speaking Argentines, and chocolate cake = loads of fun. After we drank, danced, and ate at a beautiful apartment belonging to the Mayor of BA's nephew, we headed out to a rooftop party with a live band that played until the early morning. The only bad part of the night was the disturbing number of braided rattails I counted at both parties. I think men should be mandated to put little bells on the end of them so we girls know what we're getting into before starting in on a conversation. 

Sunday, Brian and I went to Puerto Madero to hike around the ecological reserve, but it was closed due to rain. I guess they didn't want the grass to get wet. Instead we enjoyed a festival that celebrated the first day of spring (yay!)  which was so much fun! We watched some traditional dancing and drumming, and consumed some of the best fresh-squeezed orange juice I have ever had. There were about 10 different kinds of bands (Peruvian, rock, Argentinean, etc.,) that lined the mile and a half strip of land, and people were having a great time break-dancing, eating meat by the slab, and drinking beer out of well-disguised Sprite bottles. After getting into the swing of things with work, Brian and I (and our American friends) are getting out more, and seeing more of the Argentine
 culture. It seems like every weekend there is something to celebrate here, which I think is a pretty great way to look at life.


1 comment:

Blair said...

you are 100% correct about those rat tails. The rat tail per capita in BA is unlike anything else I've ever witnessed.

tunes