December 4, 2008

new adventures.

It is still hard to put into words how beautiful my temporary home is. Since the last time I wrote, my days have been filled with more cooking, teaching english, gardening, cleaning bathrooms, and animal tending, as well as long hikes to the lake. One of the big, brown horses decided to be my friend two days ago, which was clearly the highlight of my week (read: my life), and the three kittens I get to play with daily are growing bigger and more curious every day. A little more than a week ago, Brian flew back to the United States--It´s a little lonlier here in paradise without a constant companion, but I am still having a blast, and loving Patagonia. Last Monday, I started upon my own adventure to El Calafate, taking a bus (27 hours) to the southern end of Argentina, with two girlfriends from the farm, to El Glaciar Perito Moreno. Because I can´t upload pictures just yet, i´m asking you all of you reading this to google this glacier--it is absolutely mind-blowing. The gigantic glacier is the last expanding ice-mass on earth, and is a breath taking shade of blue that makes it pop out of the brown mountains and green waters that surround it. The ice is so dense, that the sounds of little pieces of the glacier cracking off, become thunderous clapps, sounding like the beginnings of an avalanche. Because the girls and I left to see the glacier just before 6am, we got back to El Calafate early, and decided to hike one of the many mountains that surround the city. The view, as you can imagine, was spectacular. On the way up the mountian, two little local dogs decided to tag along, and followed us for over 3 hours up and down the mountian. I´m just making friends like crazy in the animal sphere.

In a few hours I am off to Santiago, Chile (a 27-30 hour bus ride), to meet my brother, Andrew, for a family adventure. YAY. Hopefully the hardest part of the next few days will be locating eachother in a gigantic city, without cellphones. We´ll see...

1 comment:

ROSE said...

Elizabeth you seem to be really enjoying yourself.. But please be careful!!!

tunes